Health and Safety Waiver
As a condition of registration, all registrants are required to acknowledge they have read and will comply with the Academic Internal Medicine Week 2022 Health and Safety Waiver.
Health and Safety Assumption of Risk, Release of Liability, and Waiver of Claims for Participants of Academic Internal Medicine Week 2022
The Alliance for Academic Internal Medicine (AAIM) is holding Academic Internal Medicine Week 2022 (AIMW22) April 10-13, 2022, at the Charlotte Convention Center in Charlotte, NC. Those attending AIMW22 must agree to the terms of this Assumption of Risk, Release of Liability, and Waiver of Claims (Waiver and Release).
Assumption of Risk and Release of Liability
The individual signing this Waiver and Release (referred to as “I” or “me”) desires to participate in AIMW22. In consideration of being permitted by AAIM to participate in AIMW22 and in recognition of AAIM’s reliance hereon, I agree to all the terms and conditions set forth in this release.
Acknowledgement of COVID-19 Risks
- I understand that (a) COVID-19 is an extremely contagious disease that can lead to severe illness and death, and there is an inherent danger and risk of exposure to COVID-19 in any place where people are present; (b) no health and safety policies, assessments, precautions, and/or protocols that will be implemented from time to time for the convention center by local, state, and federal governmental agencies, the convention center, AAIM, or other third parties can eliminate the risk of exposure to COVID-19; (c) while people of all ages and health conditions can be and have been adversely affected by COVID-19, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and other public health authorities (i) people with certain underlying medical conditions are or may be especially vulnerable and (ii) the risk of severe illness from the contraction of COVID-19 increases steadily with age; and (d) exposure to COVID-19 can result in subsequent quarantine, illness, disability, other short-term and long-term physical and/or mental health effects, and/or death, regardless of age or health condition at the time of exposure and/or infection.
- I am aware of the highly contagious nature of COVID-19 and the risk that I may be exposed to or contract COVID-19 by participating in AIMW22, which may result in illness, pain, suffering, temporary or permanent disability, death, and/or financial loss. I acknowledge that these risks may result from or be compounded by the actions, omissions, or negligence of AAIM employees or others. I understand that while AAIM has implemented measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19, AAIM cannot guarantee that I will not become infected with COVID-19 due to my participation in AIMW22 and that AIMW22 may increase my risk of contracting COVID-19.
Assumption of Risk
- I AGREE TO ACCEPT AND ASSUME ALL RISKS OF PERSONAL INJURY, ILLNESS, DISABILITY, DEATH, DAMAGE, PAIN, SUFFERING, OR FINANCIAL LOSS RELATED TO COVID-19 AND ITS ASSOCIATED VARIANTS ARISING FROM MY ATTENDANCE AT AIMW22, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, RISKS ARISING FROM THE ACTS, OMISSION, OR NEGLIGENCE OF OTHERS.
- Notwithstanding the risks associated with COVID-19 and its associated variants, I acknowledge and agree that I am travelling voluntarily, and at my own risk, to attend AIMW22.
- Notwithstanding the risks associated with COVID-19 and its associated variants, I acknowledge and agree that I am attending AIMW22 voluntarily, and at my own risk.
Waiver of Liability and Release of Claims
- I HEREBY WAIVE AND EXPRESSLY RELEASE, FOR MYSELF, MY HEIRS, ASSIGNS, PERSONAL REPRESENTATIVES AND NEXT OF KIN, AND DO FOREVER DISCHARGE, COVENANT NOT TO SUE, INDEMNIFY AND HOLD HARMLESS AAIM, ITS DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, AGENTS, EMPLOYEES, MEMBERS, AND REPRESENTATIVES, OF AND FROM ANY AND ALL CLAIMS, LIABILITIES, ACTIONS, DAMAGES, COSTS, OR EXPENSES OF ANY KIND ARISING OUT OF, IN CONNECTION WITH, OR RELATING TO MY ATTENDING OR PARTICIPATING IN AIMW22 INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ANY ILLNESS, DAMAGES, OR INJURY WHATSOEVER RESULTING FROM MY ATTENDANCE AT AIMW22, PARTICIPATION IN EVENTS RELATED TO AIMW22, EXPOSURE TO AN INFECTIOUS DISEASE (INCLUDING COVID-19 AND ITS ASSOCIATED VARIANTS) OR THE MANNER IN WHICH AIMW22 OR ITS RELATED EVENTS AND ACTIVITIES AND CONDUCTED (COLLECTIVELY, “CLAIMS”).
- I understand and agree that this Waiver and Release includes any Claims based on the actions, errors, omissions, or negligence of AAIM, its directors, officers, agents, employees, members, and representatives, whether a condition giving rise to any Claims occurred before, during, or after I attended or participated in AIMW22.
- I understand that AAIM is under no obligation to provide support or safety or medical aid in case of accident or illness during AIMW22. However, should an accident or illness occur, I give AAIM (or its representatives or staff) permission to seek immediate medical aid, and I further agree to hold harmless AAIM and its respective officers, directors, members, staff and representatives from any liability for illness, death, injury, loss or damage related in any way to the provision, or lack of provision, of medical aid.
COVID-19 Safety Information
- I acknowledge and agree that it is my obligation to follow all recommended and required health and safety policies, protocols, and measures while attending AIMW22 as directed by AAIM, the convention center, or local municipalities. These policies, protocols, and measures--which are subject to change at any time--may include, but are not limited to, mask-wearing, social distancing, health checks, and COVID-19 up-to-date vaccination confirmation to protect as much as possible the health and safety of all AIMW22 attendees.
- I agree that if I show symptoms of or test positive for COVID-19 during or within five days of leaving AIMW22, I will notify AAIM at firstname.lastname@example.org and consent to AAIM completing necessary contract tracing and notification of other attendees without disclosing my personal information.
- I certify that I will not attend AIMW22 if (1) within the ten (10) days preceding AIMW22, I am diagnosed with or experience any symptoms associated with COVID-19 or (2) within the ten (10) days preceding AIMW22, a member of my household is diagnosed with or experiences any symptoms associated with COVID-19.
- This Waiver and Release constitutes the sole and entire agreement of AAIM and me with respect to the subject matter contained herein and supersedes all prior and contemporaneous understandings, agreements, representations, and warranties, both written and oral, with respect to such subject matter. If any term or provision of this Waiver and Release is invalid, illegal, or unenforceable in any jurisdiction, such invalidity, illegality, or unenforceability shall not affect any other term or provision of this Waiver and Release or invalidate or render unenforceable such term or provision in any other jurisdiction. This Waiver and Release is binding on and shall inure to the benefit of AAIM and me and our respective successors and assigns. All matters arising out of or relating to this Waiver and Release shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the internal laws of the Commonwealth of Virginia without giving effect to any choice or conflict of law provision or rule (whether of the State of Commonwealth of Virginia or any other jurisdiction).
I affirm I have carefully read this Waiver and Release, understand its terms and conditions, and agree to be bound by all terms and conditions. By completing the registration for AIMW22, I have carefully read and fully understand all provisions of this Waiver and Release and freely and knowingly assume the risk and waive and release my rights concerning liability as described above.