AAIM committees continue to work on critical issues that affect the organization and profession. AAIM and each membership organization maintain actively involved committees, task forces, and work groups committed to core focus areas of AAIM.
Please note that these updates are about AAIM's "working" committees; there are several other committees that address regulatory or oversight issues. For information about all of the Alliance's committees, please visit committees in the about section of the website.
Join a Committee
For more information about serving on an AAIM committee, please contact the AAIM office at (703) 341-4540 or email@example.com.
AAIM Education Committee
The AAIM Education Committee is charged to discuss and manage issues related to the accreditation of residency and fellowship training, standards for medical student education, milestones and enstrustable professional activities in UME and GME, develop programs and resources for members to manage these issues, and consider alternative approaches to training. Works in collaboration with the Innovation Center and the AAIM Research Committee to recommends studies that can be performed to address key educational issues.
Current AAIM Education Committee projects (as of May 2019):
- The Ambulatory Work Group revised its Identifying Solutions to Ambulatory Faculty Recruitment, Retention, and Remuneration in Graduate Medical Education manuscript, referencing the joint CDIM-APM manuscript, The State of Ambulatory Undergraduate Internal Medicine Medical Education.
- The Faculty Development Work Group posted three resources to improve written qualitative feedback and assessment onto the Faculty Development Toolkit webpage.
- The Faculty Development Work Group held an open forum centering on faculty engagement during Academic Internal Medicine Week 2019.
Education Committee Roster
AAIM Research Committee
The AAIM Research Committee determines critical areas that affect research within the undergraduate and graduate medical education fields. The committee meets its directive through the fulfillment of the following goals:
- Advocate and promote opportunities for medical education research.
- Focus on ways to increase public and private support for basic, clinical, and health services research.
- Create practical materials and tools to promote research in department of internal medicine, as well as research careers.
Current AAIM Research Committee Projects (as of May 2019):
- The Innovation Grants Subcommittee selected eight projects to receive grants totaling $30,000 for FY2019. The FY2020 grant cycle will commence in August 2019.
- The Physician-Scientist Post-Graduate Training Program Subcommittee successfully conducted its 2019 Research Pathways Directors Workshop, which took place in conjunction with Academic Internal Medicine Week 2019 .
- A Population Health Subcommittee will be established on July 2019.
Research Committee Roster
AAIM Medical Student to Resident Interface Committee
The AAIM Medical Student to Resident Interface Committee is charged to develop programs and resources for faculty and staff responsible for preparing post-core internal medicine clerkship students for their transition from medical school to residency training; and monitor issues related to the transition from medical school to residency training.
Current AAIM Medical Student to Resident Interface Committee projects (as of May 2019):
- Developing manuscript that assesses impact of the AAIM Guidelines for Residency Interview Scheduling.
- It is pilot-testing the revised IM sub-internship curriculum with 17 institutions.
- A work group has revised a manuscript based on feedback from Academic Medicine. The authors discuss application inflation section on the 2017 APDIM Spring Survey.
Medical Student to Resident Interface Committee Roster
AAIM Resident to Fellow Interface Committee
The AAIM Resident to Fellow Interface Committee is charged to develop programs and resources for faculty and staff responsible for preparing internal medicine residents for their transition from residency to fellowship training; and monitor issues related to the transition from residency to fellowship.
Committee Update (as of May 2019):
- AAIM Perspectives will publish a manuscript on inappropriate communication in June and the AAIM Interview and Post-Interview Guidelines in September.
- A work group is developing a manuscript that assessed impact of IM PD LOR Guidelines.
- Fellowship start date questions will appear on the 2019 APDIM Fall Survey.
Resident to Fellow Interface Committee Roster
APDIM Survey Committee
APDIM Survey Committee Update (as of May 2019):
- 2019 Spring Survey of Program Directors closed on April 24, with 279 complete responses, for a response rate of 71 percent. Individual survey responses were emailed to all respondents immediately after survey closure.
APDIM Survey Committee Roster
Anoop Agrawal, MD
Steven Angus, MD, FACP
Stephanie Call, MD
Jillian Catalanotti, MD, MPH, FACP
Karen Chacko, MD, FACP
Saima Chaudhry, MD
John Cmar, MD
Sanjay Desai, MD
Denise Dupras, MD, PhD
Kathleen Finn, MD
Kathlyn Fletcher, MD
Lisa Kearns, MD
Russ Kolarik, MD
Furman McDonald, MD
Kelly McGarry, MD
Alec O'Connor, MD, MPH
Shalini Reddy, MD, MHPE
Lawrence Reich, MD, PhD
Kelly Spielmann, MS, C-TAGME
Sara Swenson, MD
Sandhya Wahi-Gururaj, MD, MPH
Lisa Willett, MD MACM, FACP
Aimee Zaas, MD
CDIM Survey and Scholarship Committee Roster
Irene Alexandraki, MD, MPH
Shobhina Chheda, MD, MPH
Camilla Curren, MD
Deborah DeWaay, MD
Mark Fagan, MD
Susan Glod, MD
Nadia Ismail, MD, MPH, MEd
Harish Jasti, MD
Cindy Lai, MD
Jeffrey LaRochelle, MD, MPH
Debra Leizman, MD, FACP
Nora Osman, MD
Clifford Packer, MD
Amber Pincavage, MD, FACP
Temple Ratcliffe, MD
Amy Shaheen, MD, MSc, FACP
Karen Szauter, MD
Katherine Walsh, MD