Even Better Together
By coming together, we identify new, relevant opportunities to learn, collaborate, and share.
AAIM Higher! is a new program for the recognition and sharing of members' recent accomplishments (within the last six months). Been recently promoted? Received an award? Published a research piece? Share this good news about yourself, or a colleague, with the Alliance!
No feat is too small or too big—this is the time to celebrate! The Alliance will place your submission in an upcoming issue of AAIM Connection, and right here on the website.Submitting your good news is easy
Questions about AAIM Higher? Contact AAIM Member Services at (703) 341-4540 or email@example.com
Congratulations to our members who AAIM Higher!
The following AAIM members were honored during the ACGME 2018 Annual Educational Conference:
- ACGME Parker J. Palmer Courage to Teach Award: John Del Valle, MD, University of Michigan; Benjamin Doolittle, MD, MDiv; Yale University; Kimberly D. Manning, MD; Emory University School of Medicine; Jamshid Shirani, MD; St. Luke's University Health Network; Bethlehem, PA; Suzanne Woods, MD; Duke University Hospital
- ACGME David C. Leach Award: Brett Sadowski, MD, Walter Reed National Military Medical Center
- ACGME GME Program Coordinator Excellence Award: Linda Howell, Emory University School of Medicine; Lisa Miller, C-TAGME, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, MI
- Frank Friedenberg, MD has been named chief of the Section of Gastroenterology at Temple University Hospital and at the Lewis Katz School of Medicine at Temple University.
- Cuc Mai, MD has been appointed senior associate dean for GME at the University of South Florida Morsani College of Medicine.
- Deidra C. Crews, MD, FASN, FACP received the Johns Hopkins University President's Frontier Award.
- Katherine Chretien, MD, associate professor at George Washington University School of Medicine, edited the recently published anthology Mothers in Medicine: Career, Practice, and Life Lessons Learned.
- Michelle Lee, Recruitment and Alumni Relations Administrator at Stanford University School of Medicine, was recently named Stanford DOM Employee of the Month.
- Ronald Falk, MD, from University of North Carolina, was awarded the 2017 American Society of Nephrology John P. Peters Award.
- Martin Pollak, MD, from Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center/Harvard Medical School, was awarded the 2017 American Society of Nephrology Homer Smith Award.
- Jerry Yee, MD, from Henry Ford Hospital/Wayne State University, was recognized as the 2017 Kidney Crusader by the National Kidney Foundation of Michigan.
- Ed Murphy, MD, from University of Colorado School of Medicine, received the Early Career Physician Award from the ACP Colorado Chapter Council.
- Katrina Armstrong, MD, from Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts General Hospital, with others, recently published a perspective in the New England Journal Medicine, "Toward a Culture of Scientific Inquiry-The Role of Medical Teaching Services."
Neera Ahuja, MD, from Stanford University School of Medicine, was named Division Chief of Hospital Medicine.
Maj. Tatjana P. Calvano, DO, from Brooke Army Medical Center, received a MHS Female Physician Awards.
William Curry, MD, from University of Alabama School of Medicine, was designated governor-elect of the Alabama chapter of the American College of Physicians.
- Robert A. Hromas, MD has been named Dean and vice president of the university for medical affairs of the Joe R. and Teresa Lozano Long University of Texas School of Medicine at San Antonio.
- Patrick G. O'Connor, MD, Professor of General Medicine, Yale School of Medicine, received the 2017 John P. McGovern Award from the Association for Medical Education and Research in Substance Abuse.
Salahuddin Kazi, MD, from University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center received the 2017 American College of Rheumatology Distinguished Service Award.
W. Winn Chatham, MD, from University of Alabama School of Medicine received the 2017 American College of Rheumatology Distinguished Clinician Scholar Award.
Simon Helfgott, MD, from Harvard Medical School Brigham and Women's Hospital received the 2017 American College of Rheumatology Distinguished Fellowship Program Director Award.
The following received an ACR Master Designation: Keith Elkon, MD, David T. Felson, MD, V. Michael Holers, MD, James R. O'Dell, MD, E. William St. Clair, MD, William Stohl, MD, and George Tsokos, MD.
- Dinesh Bande, MD was named chair of the Department of Internal Medicine at University of North Dakota School of Medicine and Health Sciences.
- Shanta Zimmer, MD, has been appointed senior associate dean for education at University of Colorado School of Medicine.
- Marcus Urquiaga, nephrology and rheumatology division administrator at Emory University School of Medicine, has been awarded a 2017 Emory University Award of Distinction.
- Eric Warm, MD, from University of Cincinnati College of Medicine, was honored as the 2017 International Residency Educator of the Year Award at the International Conference on Residency Education.
- Gary Smith was appointed division administrator at University of Michigan Medical School.
- Marisa Rodriguez was promoted to serve as the inaugural administrator for the Division of Hospital Medicine at University of Michigan Medical School.
- Terry Bennett, C-TAGME, of University of Virginia School of Medicine received the Leonard Sandridge Outstanding Contribution Award from the University of Virginia.
- Jeanette Tetrault , MD, FACP, FASAM, from Yale-New Haven Medical Center was named as a Macy Faculty Scholar by the Josiah Macy Jr. Foundation.
- Robert Centor, MD, from the University of Alabama Hospital received the Ellen Gregg Ingalls/UAB National Alumni Society Award for Lifetime Achievement in Teaching.
- Eric Bass, MD, MPH, FACP of Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine was named Chief Executive Officer of the Society of General Internal Medicine.
- Geetha Gopalakrishnan, MD, of Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, and Jennifer Hsu, MD, of University of South Dakota Sanford School of Medicine, were recognized by the AMA Women Physicians Section as Inspirational Physicians.
- Mark Entman, MD, of Mercer University School of Medicine, received the Lifetime Achievement Award in Cardiovascular Science, Medicine and Surgery from the International Academy of Cardiovascular Sciences.
- J. David Baxter, MD, of Mercer University School of Medicine, was appointed Senior Associate Dean for Academic Affairs at Mercer University.
- Karl Patrick Ober, MD, of Wake Forest School of Medicine, was awarded the AAMC 2016 Alpha Omega Alpha Robert J. Glaser Distinguished Teacher Award.
- Richard Pels, MD, Rachel Stark, MD, MPH, and Priyank Jain, MD, with others, recently published "Training Internal Medicine Residents in Social Medicine and Research-Based Health Advocacy: A Novel, In-Depth Curriculum" in Academic Medicine.
- Ali Mehdi, MD and Abby Spencer, MD, with others, recently published "A Professionalism Curricular Model to Promote Transformative Learning Among Residents."
- Amit K. Pahwa, MD, Leonard S. Feldman, MD, and David B. Hellmann, MD recently published "Advancing High-Value Health Care: A New AJM Column Dedicated to Cost-Conscious Care Quality Improvement."
- Jennifer Kogan, MD and Karen Hauer, MD, PhD, with others, recently published a research report: "How Supervisor Experience Influences Trust, Supervision, and Trainee Learning: A Qualitative Study."
- Matthew Ryan, MD, PhD has been named one of the 10 MedEdPORTAL Outstanding Reviewers.
- Rehan Qayyum, and Mukta Panda, with others, recently published an article about reducing resident physician burnout in the Journal of Graduate Medical Education.
- Ole-Petter Hamnvik, MB BCh BAO, MMSc, of Harvard Medical School Brigham and Women's Hospital, was promoted to program director of the endocrinology fellowship program, effective July 1, 2017.
- Stephanie A. Call, MD, of Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine, led her institution in receiving the 2017 ACGME and Gold Foundation Dewitt C. Baldwin, Jr., Award.
- Ashna Saxena, MHA, of Georgetown University School of Medicine, was named administrator of the Division of General Internal Medicine in February, 2017.
- Kyra P. Clark, MD, FACP, was appointed associate program director of the internal medicine residency program at Morehouse School of Medicine in March, 2017.
- Brian M. Aboff, MD, MMM, began serving in the role of senior associate dean for GME & DIO at Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine on April 24, 2017.
- Kimberly Rize was named division administrator of general internal medicine at University of Michigan Medical School
- Robert J. Nardino, MD, FACP, was named named internal medicine residency program director at University of Connecticut School of Medicine
- Sajid Saraf, MD, was recently named program director of the internal medicine residency program at Memorial Hospital of Rhode Island/Brown University
- Aleksandra Rosinski, MD, was recently promoted to assistant program director of the internal medicine residency program at St. Vincent's Medical Center
- Dorothy Schroeder was appointed division administrator for hematology/oncology and molecular medicine and genetics at University of Michigan Medical School in January, 2017.
- Ijeoma Nnodim, MD, was promoted to associate program director of the internal medicine-pediatrics residency at Wayne State University School of Medicine in December, 2016.
- Mary Ann Garcia, MBA, became the program manager for the cardiology fellowship at Morehouse School of Medicine in January, 2017.
- Christian A. Koch, MD, PhD, FACP, FACE, Professor in the Department of Medicine at University of Mississippi Medical Center, who will receive the 2017 Master of the American College of Endocrinology (MACE) Award
- Robert L. Trowbridge Jr., MD, FACP, who recently received the ACP Herbert S. Waxman Award for Outstanding Medical Student Educator
- Congratulations to the Alliance members who became ACP Masters in 2017:
- John M. Carethers, MD, MACP (University of Michigan Medical School)
- Anne B. Curtis, MD, MACP (Jacobs School of Medicine and Biomedical Sciences at the University at Buffalo)
Stephen Neil Davis, MBBS, MACP (University of Maryland School of Medicine)
Edwin W. Grimsley, MD, MACP (Mercer University School of Medicine)
James F. Hanley, MD, MACP (University of Texas Rio Grande Valley)
John E. Nestler, MD, MACP (Virginia Commonwealth University School of Medicine)
James R. O'Dell, MD, MACP (University of Nebraska College of Medicine)
Mukta Panda, MD, MACP (University of Tennessee College of Medicine at Chattanooga)
Michael W. Peterson, MD, MACP (University of California (San Francisco)/Fresno)
Mitchell H. Rosner, MD, MACP (University of Virginia School of Medicine)
Mone Zaidi, MD, MACP (Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai)
- Congratulations to the recipients of the 2017 ACGME Parker J. Palmer Courage to Teach Awards:
- Melvin S. Blanchard, MD, FACP, Chief of Medical Education in the Department of Internal Medicine at Washington University School of Medicine
- Jill A. Patton, DO, Program Director in the Department of Medicine at Advocate Lutheran General Hospital
- Richard J. Pels, MD, Program Director in the Department of Medicine at Cambridge Health Alliance
- William T. Shimeall, MD, MPH, FACP, Program Director in the Department of Medicine at National Capital Consortium
- Nora Y. Osman, MD, who was appointed as Clerkship Director in the Department of Medicine at Harvard Medical School Brigham and Women's Hospital.
- Amy Sussman, MD, who was named Vice Chair for Education in the Department of Medicine at University of Arizona College of Medicine.
- Augustine M.K. Choi, MD, who has been named Stephen and Suzanne Weiss Dean of Weill Cornell Medicine and Cornell University’s Provost for Medical Affairs.
- Eric Mortensen, MD, who has been appointed Chief of the Division of General Internal Medicine at University of Connecticut School of Medicine.
- APM President Mary E. Klotman, MD, has been named Dean of Duke University School of Medicine and Vice Chancellor for Health Affairs at Duke University, effective July 1.
- Former APDIM Councilor Mark Levine, MD, has been named as Health Commissioner for the state of Vermont.
- Donna Holland, MD, from University of Arizona College of Medicine-Phoenix, has been named 2016 American College of Physicians Arizona Educator of the Year for her service as medicine-pediatrics program director for almost 20 years.
- Eva Rimler, MD, won an Emory University School of Medicine 2016 Dean's Teaching Award. She was also honored with a Rising Star Award for excellence in innovative teaching and programs.
- Olga Karasik, MD, was recently promoted to Associate Program Director at University of Central Florida College of Medicine.
- Doug Walden, MD, was the first faculty member inducted into Saint Louis University School of Medicine’s Teaching Scholars program.
- Chester "Chet" Szerlag, at University of Illinois at Chicago has been named to the editorial board for Management in Healthcare, a new international journal for health care management.
- Susan Lane, MD, at Stony Brook University School of Medicine has been named a 2016 Leadership Fellow of the Alpha Omega Alpha National Medical Society.